Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mayor's 5k and 10k

I've always been fascinated with people who can run marathons, do triathlons, and even Iron Man. Hello, who can possibly do all that exhausting physical activity in a day? Is your body really capable of doing that? I guess the answer is yes!!! Well, I'm not a runner or should I say I only run when it's convenient. This means-- in the treadmill or if the weather is perfect outside. And when I'm out of breath--- I walk. Well, in the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle, I wanted to challenge myself. My husband is an avid runner and he encourages me to run outdoors once in a while. So whenever I do run outdoors--- I always curse myself! I can't breathe and end up cramping! I always tell him, "I'm a dancer, not a runner. I do yoga,Pilates, and ballet". Well, that all changed when I joined this boot camp, called Keep Movin'. I was forced to run. Well not really forced, they give you options to walk. But you're just motivated by these awesome trainers to run! So, I did! And I survived!!! First, I ran a mile. Next, I ran two miles. Then, surprisingly I ran a 5k during the camp! So, I took up running and I ended up enjoying it! It is my stress reliever. Winter came and our town was icy! So, running kind of went on a standstill. Cardio days for me were aerobic/ group exercise classes! Some days I would do an occasional run on the "dread mill". But I would only last 20-30mins. I would get so bored!!! Suddenly,there was a break in this nasty, icy, winter weather. So, while the hubby took care of the kids in the park, I ran the trail! I ran for about 25 mins and my legs felt like jello after. So, I knew I just needed to keep up with running and I'll be able to pick up where I left of. I changed my workout regimen to run at least 3x a week, for at least 20 mins. It got me thinking now that I'm enjoying running again--- why not sign up for a half-marathon?!?! Ok, too brave, Melanie! Well, our town is holding a Mayor's 5K and 10K in April! I've always ran 5K's, so I wanted to challenge myself. I entered myself in a 10K. For a lot of you avid runners, you all maybe thinking, "10k, 6.2 miles--- that's nothing!" Well it's something for me! Let me remind you, I'm a leisure runner, not ultra, speed, superhero, lightning, flash runner. So, 6.2 miles, does scare me! When I do complete this run, I'm hoping to run a half-marathon next! My goal by 2015 is to do a full marathon! I figured signing up for a 10k should be a good start in my fitness journey! So there you have it! I started training last week. I did my regular cardio/easy runs on Tuesday and Thursday. Now, I added Friday and Saturdays as run days, too. By Saturday I ran 4.2 miles in 41mins! Hey--- I told myself I can do this. Discipline and determination is needed to get through this run! Now, with kids--- I'll just have to work my training around my angels! What's your take on running? What other cardio exercises do you do?

5 comments:

  1. How do you balance running/working out with your two little beauties? That's what I'm struggling with the most; I *could* get up extra early in the morning to work out, but since Alessandra has yet to sleep through the night, I feel like I need all the sleep I can get! And after the kids go to bed, I know I should use the opportunity to work out, but Will and I like having our time alone. Excuses, I know, but it's something I'm struggling with. At our old place in Shreveport, the YMCA had wonderful-and free!-childcare, so I could exercise there (mainly the eliptical machine with some weight machines) during the day, and know that my children were a few rooms away and in the care of wonderful ladies. Our gym here has this weird co-op, and I don't want to get involved in that.

    I would love to try a form of ballet fitness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only after CC turned a year and completely off breast milk that I would wake up early morning to work out! But when CC was still waking up in the middle of the night, it was definitely a struggle. I would have to just ask Alfred, when he had the time on weekends! If I could get just one good hour on a Saturday or Sunday, I was happy. I started leaving the girls in the gym day care, after CC was off the breast and would take the sippy cup. When I thought that CC was ok to be left, then I tried for one hour. At first it was tough because both girls were mama's girls--- but they got used to it. They realized that mama just needed one hour a week. I started small until they got used to it. And they did!

      Don't do the co-op if you're not comfortable with it. Then, you'd just be worrying about your kids rather than focusing on the workout. Alfred and I researched for an affordable gym here, that has daycare (which is also affordable). And so, it's part of our budget. The gym on base is too far off a drive--- and yes, I end up taking care of my kids! So, Al and I decided instead of spending other things we didn't really need--- we would just put that towards a gym membership. I know a lot of parent's, who use the YMCA. I think that's an absolutely great thing. And the plus, it's free!!! Love that!!!

      Yes, check out if they've got an adult-dance class or Zumba workout in the evenings or weekends! Try doing just once a week--- it doesn't even have to be working out in the gym. It can be one hour to walk, one hour of yoga, one hour of Zumba. Just one hour out of the house for yourself to do a physical activity. Believe me though sometimes, I use this hour to get my nails done! haha! Remember, discipline and dedication towards your fitness goal! Miss you girly!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise or any form of work out is a personal preference for most individuals. You will always have the natural ability to dance. I am so very proud of you as this event will provide you with the opportunity to do something for yourself. Enjoy it to the fullest and know that I love and support you always. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree mom, physical activity is a personal preference. And I thank you for introducing me to love dancing! I love you to the moon and back!

      Delete